Thursday, January 19, 2006

Rock-et-Man!

Just a quick follow-up to my crtique of Franklin's review of Family Guy. As stated previously, I felt she gave short shrift to the show's hilariously referential style. Here's a great example of that humor: a recent episode depicts a tuxedoed Stewie (the matricidally minded infant) performing "Rocket Man," but speaking the lyrics rather than singing them.

He's clearly parodying William Shatner, a ripe target whose cadence is unmistakable. I also know that Shat released a series of brilliantly disturbing spoken-word versions of Rocket Man, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, and Tambourine Man during the '70s. But three tuxedoed Stewies (one pleated, one ruffled, and one disheveled) actually appear in the number, something that mystified me, until a friend showed me this.

Now I get it. Rock-et-man!

0 comments: